Thursday 4 December 2008

Advent Calendar and Knitted Socks


After a lot of badgering by my little sister – and a few others, I have managed to find time to put together a second post.

Although we had a busy weekend with family visiting Emma and I still found time to make our annual advent calendar, with a twist this year. We have been looking at all the fantastic Christmas trees in blogland made out of old magazines and catalogues and thought we would adapt this idea to make an advent calendar.


Normally (since the children were at playschool!) we would make a cone shape and hide the sweets inside the cone and then attach the strings holding the sweets to stars with the days of advent printed on them. As the children are much older now – 13 and 15 we have been adapting this idea to suit. I like making this type of advent calendar as you can choose the types of sweets without having to buy the mass produced chocolate advent calendars. This year we have some very fancy seahorse shaped chocolates, if you know the ones I mean.

I also thought I would show you my knitting effort in this post:


This is courtesy of little sis again who gave me the wool, needles and pattern for Christmas last year. As you can see I have only just got started with the first sock but if ever I finish them they will be a very funky pair of knitted socks to keep my tootsies warm in this cold weather. Any bets on when I will finish them?

6 comments:

Locket Pocket said...

Flipping heck Ally! I didn't think you were EVER going to get those socks cast on (or did you get Mum to do it for you like I did with the Christmas present I'm making her?) Whoever cast on it's looking very smart!

And I understand what you meant about your adapted Christmas tree advent calendar now!

Do you and Smiffy get a chocolate too? Dorothy asked me yesterday whether Mr L and I ever got one and was quite concerned when I said no!

All in all I'm very glad you have FINALLY managed to write another post!!!! Hee hee hee!

Me xxx

Locket Pocket said...

P.S. Can you sort out my printer by long distance remote control please?

Gina said...

Very impressive advent calendar - looks very technical! Ignore that little sister... I think the socks are fabulous. What great yarn!

trash said...

Loving the sock yarn Missus. I have faith you did all the work yourself.

Anonymous said...

Loving the sock yarn. This might sound a bit ditzy as I'm no knitter, but how do you get them to match? Good luck with your blog x

silverpebble said...

I'm in awe of anyone who starts, never mind finishes knitting socks. Knitty crafty hats off to you.

I hadn't added your subsciption to google reader till now - there was a niggle at the back of my mind - today I remembered why. What a silly sausage.